Ohau School, RD 20 Muhunoa East Road, Levin
Thank you to our PTA for helping fund the special performance we had here at school on Friday. The Kahurangi Dance Company was something different for the children to enjoy – and they sure did. I personally thought they were one of the best guest shows we have had at school. Using a combination of kapahaka and drama, the Kahurangi Maori
We encourage parents and children to visit our school to have a good look around and discuss what our school can offer your child/ren before enrolling. The Principal is happy to discuss all enrolments, come into the office or ring for an appointment.
To enrol new entrants, we require a copy of a birth certificate and an immunisation certificate.
School operates an enrolment scheme. Full details of the zone boundaries are available from the school office.
All pre-school children, from the age of four and a half and in consultation with the New Entrant teacher and Principal, who will be attending Ohau School, are able to attend a weekly session on Friday 8:50am–11am in the New Entrants room.
The policy on attendance by new entrant children is that they will attend the same school hours as the rest of the school, 8.50am to 2:40pm.
If, however, a child is becoming over-tired as a result of their new environment, the occasional late start or day’s rest is encouraged.
We have programmes and systems in place to support all students with a wide range of needs.
Living Above the Line
A positive support structure to help children make positive changes in behaviour. We deal with all issues with a positive response.
Very specific programmes designed to raise achievement.
A part-time teacher is employed to work with small groups.
We have extension classes in Literature and Mathematics for high achieving Year 6-8 students. This is taken by a very experienced part-time teacher.
Representatives from each class that meet regularly to organise fun activities for students. These include having Wheels days where students can ride their bikes, scooters, skates etc during breaks or Themed Dress-up days.
Student Support Group
Volunteers who give up their own time to support students, who may find socialising difficult. Big thanks for community support from our furniture movers north shore team in Auckland who moved us here from our old location. Their furniture movers trade me page is available for booking
- Assessment Data is analysed and programmes implemented to address areas of need.
- Academic achievement is acknowledged with many awards presented during the year and at The Annual Prizegiving, including monetary schloarships.
- The school currently offers Extension programmes where possible, as well as a very comprehensive Learning Assistance Programme for those children who experience a wide range of learning difficulties.
- The School has redesigned the Curriculum and Assessment programme. We continue to do this through rigorous self review and Professional Development.
- Ohau now offers Inquiry Learning Model for Curriculum Delivery.